The Visitor Centre has something for everyone with science exhibits, a kids zone, and information about Mount Stromlo’s rich history of tragedies and triumphs.
There’s also a heritage trail with augmented reality to transport you to a different time as you stroll past kangaroos while taking in the sweeping views across Canberra and the surrounding mountains.
Opening times for the Café and Visitor Centre over the holidays:
- Friday December 21: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Saturday December 22: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Sunday December 23: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Monday December 24: CLOSED
- Tuesday December 25: CLOSED
- Wednesday December 26: CLOSED
- Thursday December 27: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Friday December 28: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Saturday December 29: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Sunday December 30: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Monday December 31: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Tuesday January 1: CLOSED
- Wednesday January 2 – Sunday January 27: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM (open 7 days)
The Mount Stromlo Observatory site is open to the public daily from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
The Director's Residence is open daily from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Please note that all academic buildings are not open to the public unless otherwise noted. The use of drones at Mount Stromlo Observatory is not permitted without ANU RSAA Operational approval. Users must also supply copies of the commercial licences to operate the drones. Please contact RSAA on (02) 6125 0230 for enquiries, or book a flight over Mt Stromlo.
Mt Stromlo was severely damaged by the firestorm of 18 January 2003. As a result, all of the large telescopes at Mount Stromlo Observatory have been decommissioned (click here to read more about the history of our telescopes). Our sister observatory, Siding Spring Observatory near Coonabarabran, NSW, now hosts all of the Research School's operational large telescopes.
If you are interested in stargazing, we hold public astronomy nights from April to September each year. You can also book a private stargazing session using our outreach telescopes, or if you are a school or educational group, see here about booking a visit.