Heritage Trail and Director's Residence

Director's Residence in 1957 Director's Residence in 1957 Director's Residence in 2000 Director's Residence in 2000 Director's Residence after the 2003 fires Director's Residence after the 2003 fires Director's Residence after the 2003 fires Director's Residence after the 2003 fires Director's Residence after being stabilised. Image: Stuart Hay, ANU. Director's Residence after being stabilised. Image: Stuart Hay, ANU. Director's Residence after being stabilised. Image: Stuart Hay, ANU. Director's Residence after being stabilised. Image: Stuart Hay, ANU. Interior of Director's Residence with audiovisual display. Image: Stuart Hay, ANU. Interior of Director's Residence with audiovisual display. Image: Stuart Hay, ANU.

Heritage trail

Guide yourself along the Mount Stromlo Heritage Trail. The Heritage Trail includes 12 interpretive signs which together provide a comprehensive history of Mount Stromlo Observatory, including the Director's Residence. 

The Mount Stromlo Observatory site is open to the public daily from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.

For a map of the Heritage Trail, click here, download the ANU Walks app, or pick up a brochure from the Visitor Centre.

Download the ANU Space app to enrich your walk with augmented reality. 

Director's Residence

The original 1928 Mount Stromlo Director's Residence, once known as Observatory House, underwent stabilisation and interpretation works in 2015 after its damage in the 2003 fires.

The building is open daily from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM and features innovative audiovisual displays about Mount Stromlo's history, scientific achievements and the impacts of the fire events on site.

For more information about the Director's Residence and the stabilisation and interpretation works that have been undertaken, click here.