Mt Stromlo was severely damaged by the firestorm of 18 January 2003. The Farnham was the only telescope to survive the January 2003 firestorm intact, and it has since been used as a public outreach telescope.
At Siding Spring, the Australian National University operates its research telescopes, and hosts those of other institutions.
As the site’s largest and most advanced telescope, the 74-inch reflector was the Observatory’s primary research instrument throughout its lifetime.
The 6-inch Farnham telescope was built in 1886 and donated to the Commonwealth by the estate of Lord Farnham in 1907. It was installed in 1928 in the original...
This reflector was originally built for the Melbourne Observatory in 1868 for visual (look and sketch) observations. In the 1990s the reflector joined the...
The Heliostat (or Sun Telescope) was completed in 1931 it became the site’s primary research instrument.
The 30-inch Reynolds telescope was the first reflecting telescope on Mount Stromlo and the largest operational telescope in the Southern Hemisphere until the...
The Oddie Telescope was donated to the Commonwealth in 1909, and established at Stromlo in 1911.
Built in 1955, this dome housed a 20/26-inch Schmidt telescope under the operation of Sweden's University of Uppsala.
The telescope moved to Mount Stromlo and recommenced operation in 1956.